Friday, August 21, 2009

Bikes and Bees

I bought a bike. It's pretty sweet. For those in the know it's a Cannondale CAAD 8 Optimo 1 Triple. For the rest of us - it's a cool bike.



I've been out for a few rides and really enjoy it! Don't worry - the picture is from when I was looking at it at the store - since then all of the reflectors have been removed. I also didn't know that "real" bikes don't have kick-stands. "I can't spare the weight!" Who Knew!

Now for the random story. After a good 15 mile bike, Molly and I returned to her parents and had pizza. About an hour later I was putting my shoes on and something in a shoe stung the top of my foot (which hurt!).

Meghan and her Dad bagged the shoe and were able to get the culprit out of the shoe. Was it a Wasp? A brown recluse spider? It was both. It was a Spider Wasp. And here's a picture:



The one that stung me had blue wing like this guy!



I had never seen one before - so I was sure surprised to find one in my shoe! It had been a long time since I had been stung, and I have my fair shave of stories about swarms of bees, but it is still amazing how these things can do a number on you.

2 comments:

Karen said...

i've never heard of one before. i can't say i like it!

Jean said...

I can't believe you didn't faint! That is one UGLY insect!